Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Holy Cow Good Beans

Have you ever smelled bacon and sweet molasses cooking. Oh heaven! Just wait!





Even if you are not much of a cook in the kitchen, you can make this! I promise! My momma taught me how to cook and so I thought everyone knew how, until I was an adult and learned that many of my friends grew up on take-out and hamburger helper. The one time I made food from a box, warrior boy was 3 and he told me that it looked like poo, smelled like poo, tastes like poo and he didn't want to eat poo. Seriously! And it took just as long to make it as if I had made dinner from scratch, so I decided to stick with what I know.

What does this have to do with beans? Absolutely nothing! But the point is, I am so thankful that my busy mom took the time to teach each of my siblings (I have 3 brothers) and myself to cook. In fact my brothers cook much like I do, creatively without specific directions from a  recipe. I hope to have them each guest cook with me on here. But this brother lives about 600 miles away so I'll have to cook this one on my own. The recipe comes from my older brother. These are the best beans I have ever had in my entire life! They are now a staple at every BBQ we host and they get rave reviews every time. These beans are hearty enough to eat as a main dish. Eric has also mastered the art of making sushi (yum-o), bacon fried rice, he grills meat and veggies like it's nobody's business and has a melon salsa that leaves you with an empty tortilla chip bag every time!

Plus these are so easy, how can you not make them homemade?                           

Oh how I wish you could smell them cooking right now!

My big brother holding the princess almost 3 years ago!

Bacon and onions getting happy.

As is bacon wasn't enough...more meat please!

No picture can do these justice, so just give them a try.



Eric’s Perfect Beans


Ingredients

½ onion
5 thick sliced bacon (uncooked)
1/2 lb ground beef
2 Tbl mustard
1 c BBQ sauce
2 tsp liquid smoke
1Tbl molasses or brown sugar (we prefer molasses)
2 cans baked beans


Chop the onion and cut the bacon slices into pieces and put them into a medium saucepan on medium heat. Cook for about 5 minutes then add the ground beef, break up the meat as you cook it. Cook for another 5ish minutes, until the beef is pretty much browned. Add all of the remaining ingredients and set the stove to low and simmer on the stove for 1 hr, let all the flavors marry and get happy! It's that simple and oh so good! These will be the tastiest beans you have ever eaten in your whole life!

Isn't he handsome!


Thanks big brother for letting me share one of your recipes! Come visit soon! Love you!
Warmly, 
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment