Monday, May 23, 2011

My Very Merry Blueberry Muffins



This is my favorite food on the planet. And there is no better place for me to start than my greatest weakness...muffins. Oh my how I love muffins. Banana, apple, even raisin bran. It doesn’t matter what kind, I love muffins. But THESE are my ultimate favorite! They are moist, soft, spongy, bursting with blueberry sweetness. And to top it off, a delicious crunchy crumb topping.

I don’t know about you, but I do not NEED a dozen wonderful muffins sitting around my kitchen. So a while back I perfected my blueberry muffin recipe and cut it so it only makes six! One for Superman, one for the Warrior boy, one for the Princess girl and three for me!

Oh ya, I guess I need to share one more detail about my family with you. We are very healthy eaters. VERY healthy. In fact I don’t know anyone else who eats as whole as we do. But I still love my food and fabulous recipes. And I love making people smile with my food. So, this is a special occasion food and it is in no way healthy! And I love it! So, please don’t try to suggest to me how I can make this healthier. Cause I don’t wanna. That’s why I’m only making six of them, okay? Oh wait, I use fresh blueberries amongst all the butter and flour and sugar. And blueberries are REALLY healthy, so there!

My Very Merry Blueberry Muffins
(makes 6)
 
Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 egg
1/3 c milk
2 Tb oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup fresh blueberries

Crumb Topping
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ cup butter, melted
Handful of chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 400. Spray or grease 6 muffin tin wells (I don’t know the “correct” terminology, but you know what I mean). In a med bowl mix all the dry ingredients (first 4 items). In a small bowl or measuring cup beat egg, milk, oil and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir just a couple of times, parts of it will still look dry. Now add the blueberries.  I use a full cup, you may think it’s too much, I don’t! Divide equally into the 6 muffin wells. I use a large ice cream scoop and they come out perfectly equal every time. 





Now for the crumb topping mix flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Add melted butter, mix well. Add in walnuts if you choose. Spoon over the muffins. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes. 



While they are hot, if you dare, cut in half and smear with butter. OH MY! Enjoy!

Look at all those amazing blueberries!



Warmly,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment