Monday, May 30, 2011

As American as Apple Pie...or Rhubard Strawberry Pie




Have you been out this week? It’s red, white and blue everywhere you go. To me Memorial Day is a time to remember those who have served our country, creating the history we have and making it the nation that it is today. America. And since this is a food blog, well then we will celebrate with food! I really think that the only suitable desserts for Memorial Day are…S’mores and Pie! Now that’s American! I know you’re thinking apple pie, right? Well, I will wait until late summer when apples are in season here to make apple pie. So let’s do strawberries…they are ripe for the pickn’ and the rhubarb is lookn’ good too. Both of them are screaming “Spring” and “America” to me! The tartness of the rhubarb, the sweetness of the berries, the brightness of the orange zest, all married and nestled into the savory flaky crust…oh ya…am I making your mouth salivate yet?


I am not lucky enough to have a garden this year…other than a few herbs. But you will see me at the Farmer’s Market every weekend to bring home the freshest picks! Thankfully I was able to find some rhubarb there this weekend and there is a local strawberry patch where the kids and I enjoy picking the berries.

I do a lattice crust on most of my fruit pies and maybe some day I’ll give instructions on how to do it when I have an extra set of hands for taking the pictures. My mom taught me how to make pie when I was 6 or 7 and when 7, I entered my first pie contest and won first prize! Anyway…years later…here’s a pie that will put a smile on your face!




Country Rhubarb Strawberry Pie

Ingredients
5 c chopped rhubarb, I peel the larger stalks
2 cups quartered strawberries
1 ¼ c sugar
¼ c corn starch
1 tsp orange zest
1 Tbl lemon juice
2 pie crusts (a top and a bottom), you can make your favorite or purchase one or use my current favorite crust http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/12/p-p-p-pie_crust_and_its_p-p-p-perfect/

Preheat oven to 375. Mix all the ingredients together. Set aside while you prepare the crust. Pour into the bottom crust. Top with the 2nd crust.
Egg Wash
1 Tbl milk
1 large egg yolk
2 – 4 Tbl sugar

Beat the milk and egg yolk well. Brush on the top of the pie crust. Sprinkle with the sugar.  Take a piece of foil a little larger than the pie and loosely fold the foil and set on top of the pie. Bake for 45 min, take the foil off and bake for another 45 min.

You will not be disappointed in this pie! 
S’mores





And for the s'mores...well this really shouldn't be your first time trying them because they are a classic! A family evening favorite of ours is to get the fire pit going and sit around it to just relax. We love the simple but quality time together. And if we’re lucky, Superman will let us make s’mores!

One thing I do have to say about s'mores...the marshmallows MUST be roasted over a fire. Not any of this microwave business. 



So get your graham cracker out. Break one in half. Smear one half with peanut butter and set your chocolate section on top of the PB and set aside. For a perfectly golden roasted s'more, hold your marshmallow on a stick just a few inches away from the fire, NOT touching the flame. Slowly rotate the marshmallow until it puffs and is golden brown. Set it on top of your chocolate and set into place the remaining Graham cracker. Gently push down and watch the gooey melted mallow ooze! Let it hang out for a minute so the chocolate can melt a tad. Finally...take a bite and lick yo lips! 



Today as I observe Memorial Day, I thank those who are serving and who have served this country. I am grateful! 


Warmly,
Mary

2 comments:

  1. Strawberry rhubarb pie! My very favorite. I haven't had an exceptional slice since AD and I used to go to the Lincoln farmers market and buy the little individual pies from the church ladies. I wonder if they are still there selling them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sure do sell pies down there! I don't know if they are the same ladies but they look deliscious! Maybe I'll have one on had next time I see you! :) (the hard part will be finding the rhubarb!)

    ReplyDelete