Friday, September 30, 2011

Pumpkin Scones with Maple Glaze


Did you enjoy yesterday's Pumpkin Latte's? I knew you would! Did you call a good friend over to share with? I knew you wouldn't! After taking a sip, you kept it all for yourself didn't you! Ok, well these you will have to share! This is only my 3rd time making scones. It took me a couple times to get it right. The best scones I even had were at a quaint little coffee shop in a sophisticated area in Kansas City. I wanted to replicate their flavor and texture. I think have have accomplished it! Ok, my friends, Enjoy!
oh ya, to a second batch that I made, I added 1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate chips!

Paired up with Pumpkin Latte for 2!
Pumpkin Scones with Maple Glaze
Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, frozen
3/4 cup pumpkin purée
2 Tbl Buttermilk (or 2 Tbl milk with 1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar)
1 large egg
1 Tbl baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Place 1 stick of butter in the freezer about 1 hr prior to making the scones.
Heat oven to 425. In a small mixing bowl whisk together the egg, pumpkin and milk.  In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and baking powder. With a cheese grater, grate the frozen stick of butter and with your clean hands, mix the shredded butter into the flour mixture until it resembles course crumbs. Stir in the pumpkin mixture and mix until it forms a well-combined dough.
Divide the dough into three equal pieces and pat each one out onto a lightly floured surface. Make each ball into a rectangle about 1" thick. Cut an X into each rectangle, creating 4-triangles. You'll have a total of 12 pieces.
Place the triangle scones on a cookie sheet (I lined mine with parchment paper). Bake for about 15 minutes.

Maple Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbl milk or brewed coffee
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp maple flavoring
1/2 tsp cinnamon

In a small bowl add in all the ingredients and whisk until well combined. Add more milk if necessary. Drizzle over cooling scones.

Happy Fall! Enjoy!

Warmly,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment