Saturday, September 17, 2011

Pecan topped Pumpkin Muffins



Good Morning, Fall! There is something about Autumn that is warm and cozy. Even the shades of fall are cozy, the deep and bright hues of orange, red, auburn and even cappuccino browns. I love lighting candles throughout the house with hints of cinnamon, maple and apple. Bundled up for walks and football games. Trips to local tea rooms and coffee shops. Flavors of apple and pumpkin. Cuddling on the couch with nothing on the to-do-list. Unwinding in a warm hot-tub outside in the fresh brisk air. All things comfy and cozy!

If you've been following my blog for a while (ok, It couldn't have been that long because I just started the end of May!) or if you know me, there are two things or really three things that you have learned about me. I am a morning person! I will be happy to see you in the morning, just because I'm not really the grouchy type! Secondly, I love to bake. Last weekend I couldn't find my favorite muffin tin and I about panicked. I realized then, that aside from not being kind to my kids (the princess and the warrior) one of the meanest things you can do to me is hide my muffin tins! Thankfully before anyone got hurt I found it tucked away inside another muffin tin....whew! And lastly, my weakness is muffins. I don't know why, but I love muffins. Especially if they are adorned with any kind of sweet crunchy topping! And I am not a respecter of muffin types, except that they must be freshly made.

So fall and my love for muffins of course ensured the creation of the perfect muffin recipe. And I will stand by my belief that this is the best pumpkin recipe! A distinct pumpkin flavor, well balanced spice, soft and moist texture and crunch top. Definitely plan to make this recipe this week! Then pour yourself your favorite cup of coffee or tea and a great book, magazine or best friend and enjoy the season!


PECAN TOPPED PUMPKIN MUFFINS
(makes 17 muffins)
Ingredients

1-15oz can pumpkin purée
3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground ginger
3/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Pecan Topping (optional)
1 cup chopped pecans
1 Tbl sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350. Grease or line muffin tins. In a large mixing bowl combine pumpkin purée, eggs, both sugars, oil, and vanilla. Mix until well blended and smooth.
In another mixing bowl combine flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, baking soda and salt. Add dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and stir a few times, making sure that you scrape the sides and the bottom. When you think you should stir it just one or two more times...STOP! Divide evenly between muffins tins.
In a little bowl combine pecans, cinnamon and sugar. Spoon over muffin batter. Bake for about 20 min.

Burn your fingers trying to peel back the paper to get your first bite because you can't resist the smell anymore and must have a bite now...or wait until the muffins cool down a bit and ENJOY!

Warmly,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment