Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Hungry Man Italian Sub with Olive Tepanade


I love a good sandwich. Ok, I will even go for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich most of the time. Or a peanut butter pickle sandwich (thanks to the Green Girls), yummy! Hey don't knock it until you've tried it. *focus* Anyway, so I am happy to make a sandwich and call it a meal. But the men in my life scoff when I mention making a sandwich, especially if I try to pass it off as dinner. I guess I can't blame 'em. I mean Superman runs miles and miles everyday and has a vigorous weight training schedule...I guess that he has a reason to be hungry man. That is why I had to make the Hungry Man Italian Sub.

This very substantial flavorful sandwich will satisfy the hungriest of appetites! It's full of meats and cheeses, oh ya and veggies. If you haven't tried a Tepanade on a sammy, you will be hooked after this one! A tepanade is a spread generally used on bread. More commonly used in France and the Mediterranean. It is sooo good!

Warning...feeding hungry men this sandwich will cause them to kiss the ground that you walk on! Watch your step!


layer it on...

don't be shy

ready for the grill

oohh la la...I mean *grunt, grunt, grunt* (Tim Taylor style)



Hungry Man Italian Sub


Ingredients
Olive Tepanade

6oz can black olives
7oz jar green olives
4oz capers
1 Tbl Hot Sauce (optional, but man can totally handle it!)
1 tsp dried Oregano
1/3 cup olive oil

Drain olives and capers. Dump all the ingredients into a food processor and pulse until it is almost a paste consistency, but still small chunks.

Subs
6 large sub rolls
1 lb deli ham, sliced
1 lb hard salami, sliced
1/2 lb sliced mozzarella
1/2 lb sliced provolone
Red onion slices
Romain lettuce leaves
Sliced tomato

Slice the sub rolls in half length-wise and smear 1/6 of the olive Tempanade on each of the bottom half of the rolls. Ok, now that you've got that out of the way, start layering the meat on. Add 1/6 of the ham, salami, mozzarella and provolone to each of the rolls. Top with a few slices of red onion, tomato and romain lettuce. Add the top of the roll, cut in half and serve to a group of hungry men! We put ours in the panini grill! Even yummier with warm meat and melted cheese!

I dare you to try to eat a whole one. I have to cut one in thirds for myself! Serve, eat and enjoy!

Warmly,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment