Saturday, July 2, 2011

Delicous Sausage Gravy...oh and biscuits if you want...



So, I served up some breakfast for my sweet Princess and when I went back into the kitchen to grab my tea I heard some serious lip smacking. Princess girl was sucking the gravy right off the biscuits! I agree hun, this gravy needs no biscuit...that's just wastes tummy space...It is that good!

We don't use salt or pepper...usually...ok, ever (ok, only in baking).  I know it's practically a sin not to add black pepper to gravy...I KNOW! It took me a long time to adapt. But I add a tad bit of garlic and Cheyenne pepper to make up for it. If you feel the need, add your pepper! It won't hurt my feelings.




Sausage Gravy 

Ingredients
1 lb breakfast sausage, turkey sausage if you wish
2 Tbl butter
2 Tbl flour
1/2 tsp garlic powder
pinch Cheyenne pepper
Biscuits...your favorite recipe...

Bake the Biscuits.

Brown the sausage in a skillet over medium heat. Once browned, drain the grease, remove the sausage from the skillet and set on a plate layered with paper towels to absorb the extra grease. Do not rinse the meat with water, it will wash away the flavor that actually makes the meat sausage.

Return the skillet to the burner add butter and flour. Stir and continue to cook for 2 - 3 minutes after all the butter is melted and the flour starts to turn a golden brown, add garlic and cayenne pepper. This is also when you would add 1 tsp of black pepper, if you choose to cook with it. Gradually wisk in the milk, continually stirring so that you don't have lumpy gravy. Return the sausage to the skillet and cook until thick. If you prefer thinner gravy, add more milk. If you like it thicker, just let it simmer longer. Pour over biscuits or toast and serve. Or if you are like the Princess girl, just scoop the good gravy in a bowl and eat with a spoon! Who needs a biscuit with this gravy!











Enjoy!


Warmly,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment