Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins


My little warrior is in school now. Everyday. All day. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. I don't really give myself an opportunity to think about it. I miss him. He loves it. The day before school started I got anxiety...big time! Yes, about him growing up and all that, but we'll chat about that on another day. But I also started to dread schedules and a lack of freedom. The kids and I are on the go all the time. And we (I mean me) can come up with an excuse to head out of town at the drop of a hat. No more last minute trips to Kansas City or a day at the zoo. Boo to loss of freedom. But he loves kindergarten and I guess that's part of our culture, so I had to get over myself and look for the positives. Like coffee once a week with my gal pals!

I had never been a huge fan of healthy pastries, but then my friend Julie made some super yummy morning glory muffins and I decided that healthy was actually great. They were tasty and I didn't have to feel guilty about eating it! So, I decided to come up with my own healthy muffin recipe...it was a hit! My little warrior boy had 4 in one sitting! Winner!


HEALTHY CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA MUFFINS


2 cups whole-wheat flour
3 ripe bananas, mashed
2 eggs, beaten
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup oil
¼ cup plain yogurt
¼ cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
¾ tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray or line muffin tine. Mix together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and a pinch of salt. In another bowl mix mashed bananas, yogurt, honey, eggs, oil, and vanilla. Fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture until blended but do not over-mix. Now fold in the chocolate chips.
Divide evenly into prepared muffin tin and bake for about 15 – 20 mins.

Next time I will also add tasty walnuts, either in the muffin or sprinkled on top. Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment